It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:53 am

econometer 
Speed Limit Obeyer

Post econometer
so this is a two part thread a question and an idea

firstly: when i was looking for my 928 i test drove one (i think about an '83 or '84) and it had an anolouge econometer in the dash at the bottom of the speedo i was wondering if anyone had on in their car or if anyone's retrofitted one? please dont ask me why i want to know how much petrol my 5L v8 is using haha.
ps. i didn't buy that particular car because the timing belt hadn't been changed in 150 thousand km and it had heaps of kms on the clock.

secondly, i've heard heaps of times that the auto trans on the 928 is extremly picky about it's oil, however there's no way to measure how it's doing from inside the car, (with all the warning lights you'd think there'd be one for the transmission...) anyway i'm thinking about installing a auto transmission temp gauge but inside the dash and trying to make it look "stock" shouldn't be too hard. any thoughts??

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:24 am
Webmaster

Post Re: econometer
I never saw one of those meters, I wonder if it was an aftermarket one? I would actually like to have one myself. The Auto is sensitive to Fluid Level, but I think just putting your car up on ramps and checking it every once in awhile is better than a gauge. Not a bad idea though. I ended up putting an Engine Oil Temp in my euro as well as a Wideband A/F Gauge.

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:26 am
Speed Limit Obeyer

No i'm pretty sure the econometer was stock the only information i can find on it is on page 264 of volume 5 of the workshop manual it's a troubleshooting method, but doesn't have a pic

oh yeah definatly checking the fluid level is the most important, but for folks like you and i where the tempreture gets pretty hot (and i don't know about Southern Cal but it's pretty hilly out my way as well) i wouldn't mind knowing the temp of the fluid.

as for the oil temp sensor now that's a good idea, i might think about that, where did you put the sender?

and A/F is a great idea really isn't it since the sender is already there, does it just hook strait up?

Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:51 pm
Webmaster

Here's the part on my Oil Temp switch location. The Gauge is on the side of my round clock, the other side is my AF Gauge.

http://porsche928forums.com/viewtopic.p ... wich#p3046

Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:18 pm