It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 pm

Driver's Side electric lock - will unlock but not lock? 
Speed Limit Obeyer

Post Driver's Side electric lock - will unlock but not lock?
Hi guys, First time posting so please go easy on me!

Ever since I've gotten my 84, its had an issue that you could unlock the car (driver/passenger via electric lock system) from the drivers side, but locking it however would only lock the driver door. Passenger works fine both ways for lock/unlock of the system. Im guessing its a contact issue, so would it require replacement parts or just cleaning, and is this a possible DIY that i can sweat easy? Ive heard getting into the lock itself can be a nightmare but feel free to tell me im wrong :lol:

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan.

edit- fixed title typo.

Left to do/fix: Sunroof,electric locks,some interior, paint body,replace hood lining, bad gas milage
A little of a fixer upper, but a labor of love!

Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:30 pm
Webmaster

Post Re: Driver's Side electric lock - will unlock but not lock?
Welcome to the Board!

Hmm, this may be a bit tricky as the lock system is a motor that spins as you lock/unlock. I think your on the right track to check the contacts in the Door Lock Tumbler. The hard part is getting to this. The problem is that there is a security plate inside the door that covers this whole assembly if I remember correctly. Most of us have removed it and never put it back on. Put the Door Glass all up, then remove the Door Panel. You'll see the assembly in there. Very tiny hands is needed in there too.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:39 pm
Speed Limit Obeyer

Thanks for the response! Anything I need to be careful about breaking while making my way in there/getting it off? I was going to bring it up later, but since ill be going in there, I notice that the lock front pops out a bit when I pull the key out but then sinks quickly back in, about 1/4 of an inch (this happens on both sides). Id love to have any tools or replacable parts needed in hand when I get in there if possible. Right now about all i have is a basic rachet/screwdriver/micro screwdriver set, and a wirebrush at my disposal :ugeek: . Anything else I need?

Thanks

Left to do/fix: Sunroof,electric locks,some interior, paint body,replace hood lining, bad gas milage

Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:04 pm
Webmaster

The popping out thing is a common problem ye easy to fix if the threads aren't already stripped. Look on the side of the door parallel to the lock, you'll see a plastic round cover you'll need to pop off. Under that cover is an allen bolt that holds that lock in place.

Nothing special about pulling the panel. About 5 or 6 10mm bolts and then you'll pop the panel off, it has those common plastic push in holders. I just use a screw driver next the plastic pice and pop it off, auto part places have a specialized tool.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:48 pm
Speed Limit Obeyer

So yeah, i have a side note/update. last weekend while taking apart my sunroof to figure out what parts i needed, i noticed that opening the door from outside had become difficult and it felt like something was loose inside. finally got in there tonight and found this (see attached). my handle is fractured :/. can i get away with gorilla glue or a jd weld or do i have to buy one and put it on before its painted (which i can hopefully do mid-late september)? right now i can open my door if i shift my body weight against it when i lift the handle to take the pressure off the striker, the release just doesnt want to go all the way down on it due to the fracture. advice?

Also im not sure how to get deeper into the door at this point to get a clear view of the lock and what not, is there another layer beneath what seems to be a shell or do i just work inside there by taking everything out to get to the handle/lock?

Thanks,
Jonathan.

P.S. Leo, the push in holders were all already popped out or snapped off due to old age XD.

Attachments:
IMG_20110811_201318.jpg
IMG_20110811_201318.jpg [ 1.3 MB | Viewed 795 times ]

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:16 pm
Webmaster

Nope, common break. That's what I had to replace on mine a couple years back. Remove the glass and it will be a whole lot easier.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:33 am