It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:17 am

Leather repair / seats / etc... 
Granny Driver

Post Leather repair / seats / etc...
Hi y'all....

Just out of curiosity:

2 QUESTIONS:

1) Has anyone ever tried repairing scuffs, or small tears in their leather seats, with any luck?

2) Has anyone ever tried a product called "Leatherique" for restoring their seats, and if so, how were the overall results???

Obviously our 928's are a bit on the older side, and as most of you already know that the seats really take some abuse, and 928 seats are certainly NOT cheap to reupholster! I have a set of decent seat covers, but just thought I'd ask you guys if you've tried a cheaper fix that may have worked pretty well to bring them back a bit better than before??? :)

Thanks, in advance!

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:01 am
Speed Limit Obeyer

Post Re: Leather repair / seats / etc...
First of all never heard of your product before.
Second of all MPDano and the SoCal guys have had great results with some Mexico guys,so depending on your location this may be an option.
Here is what worked for me.My interior was not torn or ripped on my 81 but was in pretty ratty shape.First clean,clean and clean again.I tried several different brands and found Mothers products worked best.For tough dirt I even used small soft finger nail brushes.Then the slow process begins,mine took months but with great results.I found taking Mothers leather conditioner and massaging it in by hand then buffing it off,daily,weekly then monthly until it would stay soft and supple.As for scuffs as I was adding the leather conditioner,I would start by covering any scuffs or colour loss areas with boot polish.Just match your colour,mine is black,apply polish as you would a boot,then condition the leather.Mine came back great but you have to be patient.I have read of guys hitting the leather with a great deal of conditioner then wrapping in plastic bags but I am unaware as to their results.As for tears,an upholstery shop could give some guidance on needle an thread repairs.Good luck with your project.
Just my two cents worth
Kurt

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:03 am
Webmaster

Post Re: Leather repair / seats / etc...
I've actually heard excellent results from Leatherique products. I've gotten decent results from their conditioning product, but my seats were literally cardboard. Best to remove the seats from the car, especially when re-dying them.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:35 am