It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:10 am

Headlights work, but will not go up... 
Granny Driver

Post Re: Headlights work, but will not go up...
I pulled the intake "spider" loose, so I could get to all the Vac lines at the throttle body. My intake connectors were rotted, so I hunted around an found a dude on ebay...got all 8 for like...$36 shipped. seemed like a good deal to me! I just installed them this weekend and they were perfect.

1978 928, 5sp

Thu May 03, 2012 12:46 pm
Webmaster

...or you could have bought a single piece of Silicone Hose and cut it into 8 pieces. I did this on my Euro. I did go with OEM Rubber ones on my S.

Thu May 03, 2012 12:59 pm
Granny Driver

AirtekHVAC wrote:
I pulled the intake "spider" loose, so I could get to all the Vac lines at the throttle body. My intake connectors were rotted, so I hunted around an found a dude on ebay...got all 8 for like...$36 shipped. seemed like a good deal to me! I just installed them this weekend and they were perfect.

Yeah, I bought my vac lines from 928 Motorsports....I got them in Yellow...You really a splash of color under the hood of a 928. Probably overpaid for those vac lines, but, hey, it's my weekend fun car, so, who cares. LOL :D

I'm going to pull the spider off my engine after this Summer is over...Have the whole assembly powder-coated, and maybe the valve covers, too. That aluminum gets ratty lookin' over time.

Thu May 03, 2012 2:12 pm
Webmaster

Ah, thought you were talking about the Spider Couplers. Yes, good call on the 928 Motorsports Vac Lines. I Powdered my S Spider in Gloss Black and had all the Injectors Serviced while they were out as well. Looks mean :driving:

Thu May 03, 2012 2:21 pm
Granny Driver

MPDano wrote:
Ah, thought you were talking about the Spider Couplers. Yes, good call on the 928 Motorsports Vac Lines. I Powdered my S Spider in Gloss Black and had all the Injectors Serviced while they were out as well. Looks mean :driving:

Hey MPDano,

I got new couplers, too! hehe, I found a new set in Red...they look pretty darn cool! Haven't installed them yet, as I wanted to wait until I have the spider coated....I never even thought about Black powdercoat for the spider! Cool idea! I had originally thought about having the spider done in a chrome type of color to mimic the aluminum color. But, black sounds pretty sick, especially with red couplers! hehe

I didn't want some wild colors, so, I was just thinking "basic"...But, I may have to give serious consideration to black! hehe

If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much did it cost to have the spider done in powdercoating...I haven't fully researched this stuff yet.

Chris

Thu May 03, 2012 5:42 pm
Granny Driver

AirtekHVAC wrote:

LOL, got the same ones, in Red! (Ebay)

Thu May 03, 2012 5:44 pm
Webmaster

laney50w wrote:
MPDano wrote:

Hey MPDano,

I got new couplers, too! hehe, I found a new set in Red...they look pretty darn cool! Haven't installed them yet, as I wanted to wait until I have the spider coated....I never even thought about Black powdercoat for the spider! Cool idea! I had originally thought about having the spider done in a chrome type of color to mimic the aluminum color. But, black sounds pretty sick, especially with red couplers! hehe

I didn't want some wild colors, so, I was just thinking "basic"...But, I may have to give serious consideration to black! hehe

If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much did it cost to have the spider done in powdercoating...I haven't fully researched this stuff yet.

Chris

Not real sure on cost since I dropped it off with a bunch of other stuff as well. If you have local choices there, then take it to a few places and get some quotes. Plus, make sure you see their work. My local powdercoater is awesome.

Thu May 03, 2012 7:45 pm
Granny Driver

I took the wire brush on the drill to the "body of the spider....I am trying not to spend too much until I actual confirm the motor runs....then who knows...I like the black....

Back to the headlights...on the motor connector...I believe there are (4) wires...1- should be power, 1- should be ground, 1- should be up, 1- should be down...right? The grounds, I believe are a solid brown...so I should be able to jump power to the (2) non- grounds, and drive it up or down to verify the motor..correct?

1978 928, 5sp

Fri May 04, 2012 5:23 am
Webmaster

I'm not an expert in electrical but you are right that our cars have brown grounds. Your theory sounds right but I can't verify that. I know Rjm65 is a better electrician than I am.

Fri May 04, 2012 5:42 am
Speed Limit Obeyer

Here's the wiring layout from the current flow diagram for my 79.

My guess is that 30 is the positive, 86 and 56 control up or down depending on the position of the headlight motor and whether power is on or off, and 30b is ground. Pic is also attached as PDF.

Attachment:
current flow 3.jpg
current flow 3.jpg [ 290.01 KB | Viewed 2654 times ]

Attachments:
Pages from 1979 Current Flow Diagram Part III.pdf [91.2 KB]
Downloaded 184 times

Fri May 04, 2012 4:07 pm