It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:54 pm

81 porsche 928 clutch won't engage 
Granny Driver

Post 81 porsche 928 clutch won't engage
Hey guys, so I've been on this project for quit some time now, I'm close to finishing soon and start using the car but recently just run into another major problem after almost finishing with my project.
Problem: I recently replaced my clutch master and slave cylinders, clutch is fully bled, but everytime I start the car and try to put it in gear, clutch doesn't engage, if I tried really hard, I can force it into gear with lots of grinding. But when I turn off the car and put it into gear then start it, it moves and drives as long as you stay in that one gear. I have a new clutch so I know my clutch plates are not worn out. What's the best and easiest solution for this? What should I look for? And my shifter is (sloppy)all over the place from left to right, could that be the problem? Or should I try to adjust the clutch plates?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:12 pm
Webmaster

Post Re: 81 porsche 928 clutch won't engage
Hey Raymond! Your a Manual guy, can you help him out?

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:24 am
Speed Limit Obeyer

Sounds like the clutch is not fully bled. I run a rubber hose from the left front caliper bleed to the clutch slave bleed. I open the clutch slave bleed, then have someone depress the brake pedal while I open the left front brake caliper bleed. I do this several times. It's creates a built in reverse power bleeder. You're forcing brake fluid through the clutch slave, up the clutch master and back up into the brake fluid reservoir. I'd give that a try to make absolutely sure you don't have any air in the line.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 am
Granny Driver

I did what you said, I'm I'm getting a better pedal feel, but my clutch still won't engage.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:31 am
Speed Limit Obeyer

Check out bushing #8, make sure it's in good shape. It's underneath the airbox, the bushing is plastic and can wear out, you also want to make sure the clutch fork is fully seated on it.

Next step would be to pull the lower bell housing to adjust the intermediate plate. Here's a thread over on Rennlist on how to do it:

Twin Disc Clutch Adjustment

Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:47 am