It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Just bought my first Porsche, a 928 
Granny Driver

Post Just bought my first Porsche, a 928
Hi All, I've always been into American muscle cars and just bought my first Porsche. Thought I'd say hi to everyone. I found a great deal on a US 1981 928 auto. I found it on the internet. The son-in-law of its late owner sold it to me. Rue (my daughter named her) is light blue with brown interior. The paint is faided but she has absolutely no rust and her interior is not too bad. The dash is a little cracked and warped. The carpet is dirty, but no stains. I think it will clean up really nice. She has not been driven since 2005. Her last smog was in 2002 and she passed with great results. Rue had 136,000 miles then. Now she only has 140,000. The son said his father in law couldnt drive after 05, but kept starting her and pulling her in and out of the driveway until about 2 years ago when his health really declined.

He says she was last started about a year ago. Now Rue wont start. She turns over and fires if you spray starting fluid, but cuts out right away. So I figure a fuel pump and tank cleaning are in order. The windows dont work either but the sun roof does. The last thing the previous owner did was bought new tires for her all the way around. They still look new.

Anyone have a recomendation on where to get a good service manual. I saw some on ebay for $10 as downloads.

Wed May 02, 2012 5:34 pm
Webmaster

Post Re: Just bought my first Porsche, a 928
Welcome to the Board! You could probably do a Google search for the manuals. I have seen them posted on some UK site I think. Without any history besides what you have told us. You need to remove and clean the Fuel Tank, new Filters, Water Pump and Timing Belt. You need to got through all the grounds, I believe there are over 20. There should be a diagram here on the Forums somewhere.

Relays are a problem as well as the CE Panel gets corroded in time. If your car has been started within the last year or two, you might be able to jump the fuel pump relay at least to see if it's pumping. Use a toggle switch on it.

Post some pics of your new ride!!

Wed May 02, 2012 7:37 pm