It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:57 am

New Here. 
Granny Driver

Post New Here.
Hello, I'm new to the site and to Porsche's! I currently do not own one but I plan on owning one in the next month or two.

I'm kind of torn between two Porsche's though, I'm hoping to come here for you guys to persuade me one way or the other. My situation is this, I love the look of the Porsche 944 and the turbo isn't bad either, BUT, I hate the sound of a 4-cylinder, makes me think too much of a honda... On the other side, I love the motors that the 928 came with, BUT, the body, particularly the rear quarter windows, just don't look right in my opinion. Again there's another BUT, they make some body parts that'll make it much more decent. I'm looking for a good clean Porsche that I can have a lot of fun autocrossing, so if you can point me in a good direction with these cars that'd be great!

My current background is a Mustang owner. I work in a mustang shop so I know a LOT about them, so coming over to a Porsche is a huge step for me. Here's a couple of pictures of my current car, just showing that I take good care of my vehicles :)

Mon May 12, 2008 6:18 pm

Post Re: New Here.
Welcome to the board. It's nice to have another North County member :-)
In my experience, the 944 and 928 are completely different in terms of build quality, feel, and presence. It's easier to understand if you remember that the 944 was the entry level Porsche and the 928 was the top of the line. Please don't take this wrong though, I'm not saying the 944 isn't as good of a car...in it's own way, it's every bit a Porsche...it's just different than a 928.

Anyway, you need to drive both and see which you like better. Forget about the 944 engine sound for a moment and just drive one. Obviously, it will feel underpowered compared to your Mustang but see if you like the way it drives. How it corners, brakes, and goes over bumps, etc. Do the same with the 928.

Depending on what you find, you can either install a body kit on the 928 to suit your taste or drop a V8 into the 944 to quench your V8 desires. :)

Mon May 12, 2008 7:48 pm
Granny Driver

MrGST wrote:
Welcome to the board. It's nice to have another North County member :-)
In my experience, the 944 and 928 are completely different in terms of build quality, feel, and presence. It's easier to understand if you remember that the 944 was the entry level Porsche and the 928 was the top of the line. Please don't take this wrong though, I'm not saying the 944 isn't as good of a car...in it's own way, it's every bit a Porsche...it's just different than a 928.

Anyway, you need to drive both and see which you like better. Forget about the 944 engine sound for a moment and just drive one. Obviously, it will feel underpowered compared to your Mustang but see if you like the way it drives. How it corners, brakes, and goes over bumps, etc. Do the same with the 928.

Depending on what you find, you can either install a body kit on the 928 to suit your taste or drop a V8 into the 944 to quench your V8 desires. :)

I've driven an N/A 944 at Qualcomm around the auto-x track and loved the way it handled and honestly it has more power than my mustang haha. My mustang is a v6, I'm trying to do an upgrade from a 3400lb 150HP car haha. I realize the 928 is of better build quality, I haven't been able to drive one yet, and honestly I haven't seen one in person so that may change my perspective about the way it looks.

How much would a v8 swap run me with the 944? I'm just getting out of high school next month so I think it may be out of the question unless I find a motor cheap....

I'm a founder of a mustang club in north county and as soon as I get a Porsche I plan on opening up the club to most cars (other than ricers of course haha). Maybe the San Diegans on this site can tag along to our meets?

Our last meet took place at hooters in Oceanside!

This is the only thing I'll miss about my mustang, it attracted all of the ladies, hopefully the Porsche does too!!!!

Mon May 12, 2008 8:06 pm
Webmaster

Welcome aboard! You know we are 1 sided here and your gonna hear all the raves about the 928 with it's V8! I already got a Rice Rocket Eclipse GST, yup a 4 cyl Turbo, but it can't compare to a Porsche V8. They sound sweeet!

Mon May 12, 2008 8:20 pm
Granny Driver

MPDano wrote:
Welcome aboard! You know we are 1 sided here and your gonna hear all the raves about the 928 with it's V8! I already got a Rice Rocket Eclipse GST, yup a 4 cyl Turbo, but it can't compare to a Porsche V8. They sound sweeet!

haha, if only the butt of the 928 was a little less round :shock:

Maybe a bodykit will fix it....

BTW, for weight reduction what's there to do for the 928? The car weighs 3500lbs, which is heaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavy. Rear Seat Delete? Passenger Seat Delete? I'm just looking for basics because I don't want to detract from the look of the car, I just want lightweight with good handling. I'm tired of having a mustang because at the auto-x track it just wants to plow..

Mon May 12, 2008 8:35 pm

I've got a 91 Mustang LX hatchback 5.0L mostly stock with an X pipe, high flow cats, and a decent cat back with Walker mufflers. I used to have a 944 turbo, and I also now have an 83 US 928S and a 85 Euro 928S. For autox I would go with a NA 944, not so much due to the weight of the 928, but its a high polar moment car designed to be stable at high speed, not flip around a short track.

BTW I would skip the turbo 944 and look for a 3.0L later model NA 944.

The 928 is a luxury car, so the first 400 lbs comes out fast, race trim gutted cars with a rollcage end up between 2600 and 2800 lbs.

Early cars weigh less than newer models, and its the newer (1987+) body style with the big butt. Early cars, often called OB (old body style, old bugger, take your pick) weigh about 3300 lbs, sunroof and automatic transmission each add a fair amount of weight, so avoid both.

Chevy engine conversions end up costing between $12k and $20k depending on how much work you can do yourself. OTOH a 948 is a wicked little car, but so is a LS1 RX7. Check this forum for details http://www.porschehybrids.com/php/index.php

Tue May 13, 2008 9:33 am
Granny Driver

Danglerb wrote:
I've got a 91 Mustang LX hatchback 5.0L mostly stock with an X pipe, high flow cats, and a decent cat back with Walker mufflers. I used to have a 944 turbo, and I also now have an 83 US 928S and a 85 Euro 928S. For autox I would go with a NA 944, not so much due to the weight of the 928, but its a high polar moment car designed to be stable at high speed, not flip around a short track.

BTW I would skip the turbo 944 and look for a 3.0L later model NA 944.

The 928 is a luxury car, so the first 400 lbs comes out fast, race trim gutted cars with a rollcage end up between 2600 and 2800 lbs.

Early cars weigh less than newer models, and its the newer (1987+) body style with the big butt. Early cars, often called OB (old body style, old bugger, take your pick) weigh about 3300 lbs, sunroof and automatic transmission each add a fair amount of weight, so avoid both.

Chevy engine conversions end up costing between $12k and $20k depending on how much work you can do yourself. OTOH a 948 is a wicked little car, but so is a LS1 RX7. Check this forum for details http://www.porschehybrids.com/php/index.php

yeah, I just don't like the way a 4 cylinder sounds, even if it is a Porsche....

I am leaning towards a 928 mainly for the fact that I'm used to high torque, there are plenty of body modifications that I can do compared to a 944. BTW, do you happen to have any websites for bodykits, etc for the 928? Possibly the 944 as well? I found two, but there both in France which would make it expensive to get the parts out.

3300lbs is about as much as v8 mustang. For the 928, are the decent handling cars for their weight, stock? If it handles better than a mustang stock, I've got plenty of room to work with. I'm very handy with suspension modifications and my current mustang basically turns as though it's on rails.

I wouldn't be putting a chevy motor in the car haha. If I had a 944, I think I'd try to throw in a 928 motor haha.

Thank you for the tips, I was planning on avoiding all of the extra options that Porsche had from the factory. Especially automatic, I hate autos with a passion haha.

Tue May 13, 2008 1:11 pm
Webmaster

We'll be dropping my engine back into my 928 this weekend. Your welcome to come join us. I am in El Cajon as is Raymond, which is where my ride is. MrGst is from La Costa and DanglerB is from OC. :driving:

Tue May 13, 2008 8:01 pm
Granny Driver

MPDano wrote:
We'll be dropping my engine back into my 928 this weekend. Your welcome to come join us. I am in El Cajon as is Raymond, which is where my ride is. MrGst is from La Costa and DanglerB is from OC. :driving:

Don't know if I can make it this weekend. I'm heading up to my friend's shop in Azusa. I've got some work to do on my 'stang before I sell it.

One of these times I would like to meet up with you guys and check out your cars though. Our club is having a meet on the 31st in Temecula, we're meeting up, eating at hooters, doing a photoshoot, and doing a dyno run at one of our member's shop. You're all more than welcome to come.

Tue May 13, 2008 8:10 pm

I'm keeping my Mustang, bought it new in 91 and its just too reliable and fun to let go. The secret to happiness with a 928 is to have something else to drive. When its your daily driver repairs can't wait for something to show up cheap on ebay etc. and the cost of ownership can really take off.

Tue May 13, 2008 9:58 pm